The Church of Jesus Christ scavenger hunt will have the Primary kids hunting for the various parts of their testimony! Ironically, all the these parts of a testimony come from the lyrics to this testimony-based Primary song!
My favorite scavenger hunt is around the building but if that isn’t feasible in your building, try it in the Primary room or outside!
Familiarizes children with various locations around the church building with a scavenger hunt. Then relate those areas to the parts of a testimony!
To pull off this treasure hunt, you will:
- Prep: print pictures & phrases, then write clues
- Set up: hang bubble pictures and hide clues
- Hunt: starting with the testimony picture, the children take turns reading clues and finding the next phrase
- Sing: When the group returns, hang up what they found around the boy and girl and sing the phrases that are hung
Prep: I Belong to the Church of Jesus Christ Pictures & Lyrics
Print and download the circle flip chart from Susan Fitch’s website. Cut out the circled images, discarding all the words. You only use the circled pictures hung on the board:
Then download these bubble words that contain each phrase found in the song:
Download the Free I Belong to the Church of Jesus Christ Singing Time Printables
These printables are filed on the Resource Library page under Song Title > The Church of Jesus Christ.
Get access to this printable
and my entire FREE Resource Library!
Subscribe to my free newsletter and get instant access to my Resource Library, which includes this file and all of my other free singing time printables!
Click the button below, enter your information then check your inbox for the link to the Resource Library!
Print on card stock, cut out and laminate (optional). Then write the following clues on the back of each bubble song phrases:
Write: Singing Time Scavenger Hunt Clues
Write the following clues behind each printed bubble phrase: (be sure to number the clues, you’ll need it later on!)”
- Clue #1 (on the boy and girl): “This is how the neighborhood knows what church I belong to”
- Clue #2 (behind the 1st phrase): “I see my reflection here and know I am a child of God”
- Clue #3 (behind the 2nd phrase): “I can read all about Heavenly Father & Jesus in lots of books located here”
- Clue #4 (behind the 3rd phrase): “The prophet helps me gain a testimony”
- Clue #5 (behind the 4th phrase): “Ward members (including me) can bear their testimonies here”
- Clue #6 (behind the 5th phrase): “My Bishop has a strong testimony”
- Clue #7 (behind the 6th phrase): “Primary music helps strengthen my testimony & to do what is right”
- Clue #8 (behind the 7th phrase and says): “Light shines in this door each morning just like I should share my light each day”
- Clue #9 (behind the 8th phrase): “Missionaries from our ward need strong testimonies while on their missions”
- Clue #10 (behind 9th and last phrase): This will be blank on the back because that’s the end of your scavenger hunt! Be sure to write #10 for ease of set up!
Tape the last phrase near the ward missionary plaques in the foyer. Hide the various clues around the church building.
Set up: I Belong to the Church of Jesus Christ Song Lyrics Singing Time
Before Primary, hang the Susan Fitch circle images, in order, around the bubble that says “My Testimony.”
Then hide the clues in the following locations around the building. Have small groups of kids go to get each clue.
Hide I Belong to the Church of Jesus Christ Lyrics
- This clue won’t be hidden – it is behind the bubble that says “My Testimony”
- Tape outside on the building’s name plate
- Place in a bathroom mirror – our ward has a family bathroom that I’ll use
- Place in the library with the librarian or tape to the door
- Place behind a picture of the prophet in the primary room
- Place on the podium in the chapel
- Place on the bishop’s office door or with the Bishop
- Place on the piano in the Primary room
- Place on a door or window in the building that faces east
- Tape the last phrase near the ward missionary plaques in the foyer
- Have Primary hum the song as you point to circle images on the board. Tell them this song is all about our testimony! We can gain a stronger testimony by coming to church!
- Tell the Primary the words are hidden throughout the church building and they need to answer clues to find them.
- Read the first clue on the back of the boy and girl posted on the board [This is how the neighborhood knows what church I belong to].
- Ask the children if they know where this is. When the answer is discovered [the building’s name plate outside], send a small group (or class) with an adult to get the first clue.
- When the group returns, hang up what they found around the boy and girl and sing the phrases that are hung.
- While you wait for the groups to return, hum the song again with the rest of the Primary.
- Repeat with new clues and new groups. As each clue is found, sing that line then hum the rest of the song. Repeat until all the clues are found and the song is sung.
Time permitting, remove the bubble words and replace with the pictures. Or, shuffle the images and put them in order.
Bear testimony that you are grateful to belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Variations for Teaching Primay Singing Time “I Belong to the Church of Jesus Christ” Scavenger Hunt
Outdoor Scavenger Hunt
Another variation is an outdoor scavenger hunt. Hang the above printables around your building’s grounds outside.
Primary Room Scavenger Hunt
If you want to keep your scavenger hunt in the Primary room, hang the printables pages randomly around the room instead. Have the pianist (or phone) play the song as the children go around the room to find the answers! Come back together and check answers when everyone’s finished!
More Teaching Primary Singing Time Lyrics - I Belong to the Church of Jesus Christ Song
Find more singing time ideas including the 2nd verse (not found in the Children’s Songbook) for teaching The Church of Jesus Christ in singing time.
The printables for this lesson plan can be found on my Resource Library under Song Title > The Church of Jesus Christ.