Bring a basket full of “mom” items like:
- yellow gloves
- high heels
- hair ribbons
- make up
- nail polish
- nail filers
- car keys
On the board in white chalk write out your Mother’s Day Song with most of the words missing with lines instead of the missing words. For example (this is for the song Grandmother):
You _______ ______ a __________. You ______ ______ a _______. You _______ when you ________ me _________. I _________ every ________ in the ________ _______ _________ had a _____________ just ________ you.
Singing Time Activity:
- Divide the primary into 2 teams and each team picks a child to come up front. *Assign each team a chalk or dry-erase color (other than white)
- Sing the song through for a first review
- Give the teams 30 seconds to fill in as many blanks as they can before the other team fills them in.
- After a child fills in a blank, he/she must place an item on their team’s “mom” and then sit down
- Only one child can go up at a time per team
- The same child cannot fill in 2 blanks in a row
- Words must be filled in order – no skipping blanks
- After 30 seconds, sing what was filled in and make sure the “mom” has the correct number of items. For instance, if in the 30 seconds time the red chalk team filled in 4 blanks with their red chalk, there should also be 4 items on their “mom”
- Sing the song through again to review
- Repeat 30 second intervals until the blanks are all filled in and the “moms” are dressed.
- You can then go on to another song or erase all the blanks and start over with a new mom to dress, etc.
- Could be done without teams and just one “mom” to dress
- Bring in the Bishop, primary president or someone’s mom to dress make it even more fun!
- Some of the items (like nail polish, make up, etc.) can’t be “worn” so tie string around them to hang around their neck or arms.
Make sure to scroll through all of my Mother’s Day singing time lesson plans HERE
for more ideas.