I created a wiggle worm jar that’s multi-functional! I love it! We use it during the last 5 minutes of transition time each Sunday. I also occasionally pull it out to break up the monotony of learning a program song during singing time.
To use my wiggle worm jar, I simply tell the kids I need my best wigglers to pick our wiggle songs. They know the drill, stand up go to town wiggling!
I then get to pick the wiggliest one (haha, so fun)! They come and choose a wiggle worm and we sing the song (with actions if it applies or a prop found in my music bag).
My original plan was to only do this in Jr. Primary but I have found that Sr. Primary enjoys it just as much. My 11 year old boys crack me up wiggling!!
We sing about 3-4 songs from the jar each week. I like it because we get to sing other songs that we otherwise would never, ever get to sing!
It’s also a great tool for a last minute substitute or if your singing time wasn’t long enough and you need to kill a little time. I keep the jar in our primary closet so it’s always available (and it’s one less thing to tote to church)!!
I’ve tried to pick “classic” songs that everyone SHOULD know but some of them are not very familiar still. For those really unfamiliar songs I post the words (more details HERE).
How to Make a Wiggle Worm Jar:
I made my worms using various colored card stock that I cut into strips. I then wrote out the names of Primary songs and their page numbers on the slips of paper and laminated. I then folded them accordion style.
I then got some pom poms and google eyes cheap from Walmart and hot glued on the pom poms, eyes and noses to make a head/face. Then I attached the head to the laminated paper so they somewhat resemble worms…
For my jar I just covered up a plastic jar I found around my house. Nothing fancy! My label document can be downloaded from my Resource Library. Instructions for accessing my Resource Library are at the bottom of this post.
These are my Wiggle Worm Jar songs:
- A Happy Family p. 198
- Book of Mormon Stories p. 118*
- Come With Me to Primary p. 255 (see how we sing this one HERE)
- Daddy’s Homecoming p. 210*
- Do As I’m Doing p. 276*
- Follow the Prophet p. 110*
- For Health and Strength, p. 21
- Friends Are Fun p. 262 (see how we sing this one HERE)
- Fun To Do p. 253
- “Give,” Said the Little Stream p. 236*
- Go the Second Mile p. 167
- Head, Shoulders, Knees & Toes p. 275*
- Healthy Wealthy and Wise p. 280
- Here We Are Together p. 261
- Hello, Friends! p. 254 (see how we sing this one HERE)
- I Hope They Call Me on a Mission p. 169*
- If You’re Happy p. 266*
- Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam p. 60*
- My Hands p. 273
- Nephi’s Courage p. 120 (find some fun props HERE)
- Latter-day Prophets p. 134 (find my actions HERE)
- Once There Was a Snowman p. 249*
- Our Door Is Always Open p. 254
- Popcorn Popping p. 242*
- Saturday p. 196
- Smiles p. 267 (see how we sing this one HERE)
- The Church of Jesus Christ p. 77
- The Wise Man and the Foolish Man p. 281 (see how we sing this one HERE)
- We Welcome You p. 256 (see how we sing this one HERE)
- We Are Different p. 263 (see how we sing this one HERE)
- We’re All Together Again p. 259 (see how we sing this one HERE)
- When We’re Helping p. 198 (see how we sing this one HERE)
Each wiggle worm has 2 songs written on them – one song on each side. I can choose between two songs which has been a nice option.
You can download a list I created which is also available at my Resource Library. Give the list to your pianist.
*The songs marked above with a (*) have props included in my music bag. You can find more details on my music bag HERE. For instance, if I draw the song Follow the Prophet, I pull out a prophet stick and we follow the leader around the primary room while we sing. Or, we’ll simply pass all the sticks around the room as we sing.
All my printables are free and can be downloaded from my Resource Library. Access to my Resource Library is sent to you via email and not linked here. If you need initial access to my Resource Library or need access sent to you again, click on the button below, fill out your information then check your email. Instructions for accessing each printable on my Resource Library are below the button. Check out my email tutorial HERE for more help.
These printables are filed on my Resource Library page under Category Title > Wiggle Worm Jar.