I use this jar for about the first 5 minutes of singing time. I tell the kids I need my best wigglers to pick our wiggle songs. They know the drill and go to town wiggling. I then get to pick the wiggliest one (haha, so fun)! They come and choose a worm and we sing the song (with actions if it applies). My original plan was to only do this in Jr. Primary but I have found that Sr. Primary enjoys it just as much. My 11 year old boys crack me up wiggling!!
We sing about 3-4 songs from the jar each week. I like it because we get to sing other songs that we otherwise would never, ever get to sing! It’s also a great tool for a last minute substitute or if your singing time wasn’t long enough and you need to kill a little time. I keep the jar in our Primary closet so it’s always available (and it’s one less thing to tote to church)!!
I’ve tried to pick “classic” songs that everyone SHOULD know but some of them are not very familiar still. So I do have words printed out on a sheet of paper if I feel the kids don’t know the words to a particular song (like the song Saturday).
I made my worms using various colored card stock that I cut into strips. I then wrote out the names of Primary songs and their page numbers on the slips of paper. I laminated the paper (I used packing tape for these!) and folded them accordion style. I then got some pom poms and google eyes cheap from Walmart and hot glued on the pom poms, eyes and noses to make a head/face. Then I attached the head to the laminated paper so they somewhat resemble worms…
For my jar I just covered up a plastic jar I found around my house. Nothing fancy! You can download and print my label document using my access button at the bottom of this post if you can find a jar where it will fit.
Here are the songs I used:
- A Happy Family p. 198
- Book of Mormon Stories p. 118*
- Come With Me to Primary p. 255 (see how we sing this one HERE)
- Daddy’s Homecoming p. 210*
- Do As I’m Doing p. 276*
- Follow the Prophet p. 110*
- For Health and Strength, p. 21
- Friends Are Fun p. 262 (see how we sing this one HERE)
- Fun To Do p. 253
- “Give,” Said the Little Stream p. 236*
- Go the Second Mile p. 167
- Head, Shoulders, Knees & Toes p. 275*
- Healthy Wealthy and Wise p. 280
- Here We Are Together p. 261
- Hello, Friends! p. 254 (see how we sing this one HERE)
- I Hope They Call Me on a Mission p. 169*
- If You’re Happy p. 266*
- Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam p. 60*
- My Hands p. 273
- Nephi’s Courage p. 120 (find some fun props HERE)
- Latter-Day Prophets p. 134 (find my actions HERE)
- Once There Was a Snowman p. 249*
- Our Door Is Always Open p. 254
- Popcorn Popping p. 242*
- Saturday p. 196
- Smiles p. 267 (see how we sing this one HERE)
- The Church of Jesus Christ p. 77
- The Wise Man and the Foolish Man p. 281 (see how we sing this one HERE)
- We Welcome You p. 256 (see how we sing this one HERE)
- We Are Different p. 263 (see how we sing this one HERE)
- We’re All Together Again p. 259 (see how we sing this one HERE)
- When We’re Helping p. 198 (see how we sing this one HERE)
Each wiggle worm has 2 songs written on them – one song on each side. I can choose between two songs which has been a nice option.
You can download a list I created (available using the button at the bottom of this post) to give to your pianist.
*The songs marked above with a (*) are songs we also sing in nursery. If a nursery song is picked and I have my nursery props (find details on my nursery post HERE), I pull out those props – like Follow the Prophet. I pull out my President Nelson stick and we follow the leader around the primary room while we sing.
All my printables are free and can be downloaded from my Resource Library. To gain access to my Resource Library, simply click on the below:
These printables are filed on my Resource Library page under Category Title > Wiggle Worm Jar.