I will be closely following what is in the 2011 outline for teaching this song, with the exception of the attention getter…
As an attention getter, I’m going to use what is suggested in A Children’s Songbook Companion
(get more information on this book HERE
- Show a wrapped gift (I have a decorative box with a lid).
- Inside this box is a most precious gift. All the money in the world can’t buy it, yet we each have one. Listen as I sing (or you and the teachers sing – which is what I usually do – or listen on CD), and discover what this precious gift is. [My life]
- Open the box and show a paper that reads “my life” found HERE (I taped the document to the bottom of the box so I can show the box to the primary). Point out that our lives are precious gifts from Heavenly Father.
For this activity, you will need pictures that represent phrases/words found in the song. I’d recommend using the images that were created and shared by Emily on the Chorister’s FB group HERE
. I put them all into a PDF document for easy printing. You can download them using the access button at the bottom of this post. I printed each of mine on white card stock and placed in sheet protectors.
Pass out each of the pictures to a child. While you and the teachers sing (or play the song on CD), have the children with the pictures try to put the pictures in order. The kids can either place the pictures at the front of the primary room on a chalkboard with a magnet, or they can come to the front and hold their picture as they try to get in order, or you can make a circle with the children and they can move around as they try to stand in order in the circle. Decide what method will work best for your primary. If every child won’t get a turn to hold a picture this time, they will have a chance to as you proceed with the lesson.
Once the pictures are in order (or are close – or not), review their work by singing the song and pointing to each of the pictures. Stop where there are mistakes, put the right pictures in order and repeat until all the pictures are in order.
Children can then sit down and trade with (or give to) a neighbor.
You will then be categorizing the images as Sharla Dance has suggested HERE
. I will simply write on the top of the chalkboard the 3 categories that the pictures fall under: “My Life” “My Choice” and “I Will.” Sing through the song and have the kids decide which category their picture falls under. Have the kids place the correct picture, in order, under each category using a magnet or tape. Quickly discuss each picture and it’s category as the pictures are placed on the chalkboard using these discussion questions:
- Where did my life begin? [in heaven]
- What was my choice? [to come to this lovely home on earth]
- For what will I seek? [For God’s light to direct me from birth]
- What can I follow? [God’s Plan for me]
- What two things will I hold fast? [His word and his love] Explain that to hold fast means to hold on tightly
- I will work and I will pray, and where will I always walk? [In his way]
- Then how will I feel on earth and in my home above? [Happy]
Bear testimony that our lives are a gift from Heavenly Father and each one has a plan and a purpose. By following that plan, we will be happy here on earth and in heaven.
Download my To-Go Lesson plan also using the access button below.
To review this song check out my game board. Find details on that HERE