Emphasize the prophet’s words in this Primary song, Stand for the Right by playing handbells on all the “be true” notes! Your Primary will want to sing this song over and over and over again!
A majority of this lesson plan comes from A Children’s Songbook Companion HERE.
For an attention getter, show this image HERE from the Friend and quickly discuss ways you can “be true” and “stand for the right.”
Then you need the following:
- A picture of the current prophet. Check your ward library if need be.
- The word “WORDS” and the word “STAND” written on a piece of paper. (Available to download in the Resource Library. See the bottom of this post for access.)
- A picture that depicts “work,” The Gospel Art Book image of the boy planting flowers works nicely. Download it HERE.
- A picture that depicts “play.” The Gospel Art Kit (available online only) has a picture of children playing with blocks. Download it HERE.
- A black piece of paper (to represent the word “darkness”).
- A white/yellow piece of paper (to represent the word “light”).
- The 3-page note chart for all the “be true” notes.
Access these printables at my Resource Library. Instructions for accessing the Resource Library are found at the bottom of this post.
Print on card stock and place in sheet protectors or laminate (optional). See what suggested singing time office supplies I suggest every Primary music leader keep on hand HERE.
Using Handbells in Singing Time
If you need help using handbells in singing time, check out this post HERE for more details about purchasing and using them.
Singing Time Idea
In singing time, pass out all of the pictures, EXCEPT the “be true” handbell chart pages, randomly to children. Or tape them underneath chairs before Primary and have everyone look to see if they have one.
While the pianist plays, you and the teachers sing the song. Post the words like I do HERE.
The kids with the pictures will come up front and put them all in order on the board using magnets The order is:
- Prophet Picture
- “WORDS” page
- “Work” picture
- “Play” picture
- Darkness (black sheet of paper)
- Light (yellow sheet of paper)
- “STAND” page
Once in order, sing the song through and ask them to count how many times the song says “be true.” Then whenever the word “stand” is sung, have everyone stand.
Quickly ask, “how can we be true at work and at play, in darkness or light?” and take answers.
Then add the 3 pages of “be true” notes in between the images on the board. Handbell page 1 goes between “WORDS” and the “work” picture. Pages 2 and 3 go between the Light (yellow sheet of paper) and “STAND” page.
Randomly pass out the 5 bells needed (A, B, C#, D, G) including all the octaves if you have those throughout your Primary.
Sing through the song pointing to each picture and standing on the word “stand.”
VARIATION: Change the word/action on the word “stand.” Stomp, jump, spin, sit, clap etc. Thanks for sharing, Whitney!!
Repeat by having new children take turns with the handbells and sing it again. Keep passing bells after each time the song has been sung as time permits.
Also check out my video demonstration using this lesson plan to teach Stand for the Right:
You can also find this video on my YouTube channel HERE. I’d love it if you’d like and subscribe!
Stand for the Right/Dare to Do Right Medley
Check out the Stand for the Right/Dare to Do Right Medley HERE.
More Stand for the Right Singing Time Ideas
Make sure to check out more singing time ideas for teaching Stand for the Right HERE.
These printables are filed on my Resource Library page under Song Title > Stand for the Right.