Your Jr. primary will love searching for the keywords found in Search, Ponder, and Pray. And your Sr. primary will love pondering the various puzzles to find the answers!
**This post contains affiliate links. That means I receive a small commission from sales at no cost to you. But know that I wouldn’t recommend this product if I didn’t LOVE it!
This lesson plan idea comes from several sources:
- A Children’s Songbook Companion (find details HERE on this AMAZING resource)
- Danielle’s idea shared on the PML FB page HERE (thank you Danielle!)
Below are also 2 separate lesson plans for Junior and Senior primary. If your primaries are combined, try teaching each lesson on different weeks, starting with the Junior primary lesson plan first. Cater to each group but on different weeks.
But the younger primary may enjoy most of the Sr. activities with the exception of the scripture match-up which may be too difficult for them.
Jr. Lesson Plan
Attention Getter: Hold up the scriptures with a word card “TESTIMONY” tucked inside (word card below).
- Inside my scriptures is a word that describes what you can have if you study scriptures. There are clues in the song that will help you know what the word is. Sing the song to the children, or play it on CD. Open your scriptures and show the word card below. The word “testimony” means that you know something is true.
- The song says to “search, ponder, and pray” to gain a testimony. We are going to do some searching to learn this primary song.
- empty paper towel/toilet paper tubes
- magnifying glasses with the lights out (Amazon affiliate link)
- flashlights with the lights out!
- finger lights (Amazon affiliate link)
Check out my other posts that use finger lights HERE! They are very versatile and you won’t regret buying them to use over and over again in singing time!
Directive Listening Questions
- What do I love to do? [read the scriptures]
- What does the spirit do? [helps me to grow my testimony]
- What do I gain a testimony of? [the scriptures]
- What must I do to gain a testimony? [search, ponder, and pray]
- What is another word for lead or help? [guide]
- Where will I feel my testimony grow? [deep inside]
- How should I read the scriptures? [prayerfully]
- How often should I read the scriptures? [each day]
- What will I come to do? [understand]
- How can I live the Lord’s command? [answers vary – go to church, read the scriptures, keep the commandments, etc]
- How can I live as He would have me do? [answers vary – love and serve others, be an example, be baptized, etc.]
Sr. Lesson Plan
Searching for Sr. primary may be too simple to here’s a lesson plan to challenge them! However, use the same attention getter as in Junior primary to introduce the song.
The first page is a melody map. Hum the song and as you hum, have them figure out what phrase is on the melody map [I know the scriptures are true].
Note that this phrase chart is only for the verses and does not include the chorus.
Have the piano play while everyone sings (if they are familiar with the song). The first line is the first phrase, the second line is the second phrase and so on. Notice how the 3rd phrase has different phrasing. Move arms in a large rainbow pattern to mimic the phrases as you sing the song.
Decipher the Code
- Yellow dots: words referring to “me” including “I” and I’ll”.
- Red dots: “love” and “heart” words
- Blue dots: words that start with “S”
- Green dots: words that refer to Christ
Once the dots are all figured out, sing the song to check answers.
The very last page is an answer key – which I most likely will need to reference ;).
The scripture references are all out of order and need a line drawn to their matching phrase (which are all in order).
Draw a line from the scripture to the correct phrase. Quickly discuss each phrase and the scripture once a match is found. Sing the phrases after each one is matched up.
All my printables are free and filed on my Resource Library. Filing instructions for accessing each printable on my Resource Library are below the button.
These printables are filed on my Resource Library page under Song Title > Search, Ponder, and Pray.