I obtained permission from Sister Graham to post her handout here online for those of you who couldn’t attend her workshop last Saturday. She hopes her handout makes sense without the demonstration!
The handout is 3 pages which includes general teaching tips and ideas for teaching January and February 2012 songs (As a Child of God and Choose the Right). She referenced us to her A Songbook Companion book for help with the rest of this year’s program songs.
You can find out more about Sister Pat Graham by going to her website:
Teaching Music by Rote (Repetition) Pat Graham
The importance of listening and singing experiences (SING, SING, SING!) (all ideas in A Children’s Songbook Companion)
1. WE LEARN THE SONG FIRST BY HEARING IT
Singing is reproducing the song with our voice after we know it thru our ears.
4th Art of Faith CS 124; As a Child of God, CSMP Booklet (Hear, get through, understand)
2. AN INVOLVED CHILD IS NOT BORED/DISRUPTIVE
Involving the child becomes the CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT TECHNIC
The Lord Gave Me a Temple CS 153, June – envelopes, key words; Choose the Right, Hymn 239
INVOLVE/CHALLENGE THE CHILD WITH:
A. DISCOVER QUESTIONS – everyone can answer if they listen to the song.
- Words How many times does the song say ________ Stand for the Right 159 Mar The song says there are two reasons we should __________Follow the Prophet
- (DEFINE) What word does the song say that means “awesome”? I think the World 230
- What 3 things begin with B (key words) Are words in order?
- What am I singing about? Who am I singing to?
- Rhythm What words occur on this rhythm? (short long, short long, sl, sl)
- Melody When you hear this melody raise your hand The World is So Lovely 233
- What word is on the highest note in the song? My Heavenly Father Loves Me 228 pictures, order, clothesline
B. SOMETHING TO DO (repeat with MOVEMENT) Brain buttons
Actions – Search, Ponder and Pray, 109; ASL; Hymn 306 As I watch the rising sun (fist/folded arms),
Beat – pat the beat on your lap as you listen; I Hope They Call Me on a Mission 169 (Left Long-short, Right long-short) brush hands; sway; fists; touch pinkies; march in place; conduct beat pattern (MTC Ghana)
Melody – make your hand go higher as you hear the melody go up, lower your hand as the melody goes down. (pitch/bodylead) Choose the Right Way 160
Phrase – copy my hand and make an arch with each phrase of the song When I Am Baptized 100 “Rainbow Song” (sing the phrase in one breath?)
3. YOU CAN MAKE THE SINGING BEAUTIFUL-Finishing touches
A. Reason to watch you – fermata (hold) Cut offs (light, right, 1 person “t”), Careful r’s (earth) s’s (no snakes-choose) Dynamics – volume (f/loud, p/soft), tempo, natural rit/slowing at end
(give feeling, emotion )Picture a Christmas
B. Teach choir skills – stand together, straight arms, breathing; no gum; Help find “singing voice,” (invite children to echo you with toy mic) “this is my whispering/speaking/shouting/singing voice”