Latter-day Prophets is the PERFECT song to teach using actions! While you’re learning the order of the prophets, you are also learning a little bit about the lives of each of them!
If your songbook is outdated (like mine!), make sure to print off the current version HERE from the church’s website (the PDF downloadable version is updated when you download it even though the view page is not).
Or I also have it available to download using the access button at the bottom of this post. Then I simply teach some fun actions:
- Joseph Smith: make a Book of Mormon with your hands
- Brigham Young: drive your wagon team by shaking reins
- John Taylor: point to your chest – his life was spared because of a bullet hit his pocket watch
- Wilford Woodruff: play a trumpet (he played the trumpet)
- Lorenzo Snow: make it rain (his “windows of heaven” story about paying tithing and the rain would come)
- Joseph F. Smith: do the hula dance (he served a mission in Hawaii)
- Heber J. Grant: pretend to hit a baseball (he was determined to play baseball and through hard work he made the team)
- George Albert Smith: pretend to shake a lot of hands (he made a promise “not to be an enemy to any living soul)
- David O. McKay: The “O” is partly for his name, but he loved to play marbles so make a big marble. There’s a story with more details about that HERE.
- Joseph Fielding Smith: blow a kiss after you say his name (he loved children)
- Harold B. Lee: pretend to play the piano (he loved playing the piano and was good)
- Spencer W. Kimball: milk a cow (worked hard on a farm)
- Ezra Taft Benson: make the scout sign (he loved scouts and was a great scout leader)
- Howard W. Hunter: draw a big pretend heart with your hands (he was sweet and wanted everyone to treat each other better)
- Gordon B. Hinckley: arms out for an airplane (he flew all over the world to meet with members and build temples)
- Thomas s. Monson: have your hands up and out like holding a large tray being a server (he is always talking about service)
- Russell M. Nelson: pretend to ski by holding your poles and jumping from slightly to the right then to the left. At age 94, he still skis every week with his grandkids!
Latter-day Prophets actions
Check out my demonstration video that demonstrates the actions for teaching Latter-day Prophets in singing time:
With the exception of the first page, the rest of the book looks like this with none of the extra words:
Check out all of my my General Conference singing time lesson plans HERE.
I also have a coloring book/flip chart for this song. You can find more details HERE. At the end of the coloring book is a write-up on most of the prophets (except the most current ones)
These printables are filed on my Resource Library page under Song Title > Latter-day Prophets.