My idea is based on the Thanksgiving Sing-A-Story found in The Children’s Songbook Companion book but I’ve changed quite a bit so I’m going to post all of it here…
Download and print The First Thanksgiving book I created. You can download it using the access button at the bottom of this post.
I printed the first page (the cover) on red card stock then all the rest on white card stock. I did add a blank red piece of card stock for the back cover as well but there’s nothing to print for that ;).
Put all the pages in sheet protectors with all the picture pages and their corresponding song titles with page numbers back to back:
Back sides (I’ve updated a few of the songs since this picture was taken – so some of them have changed):
Here’s what goes back to back:
- Boat (Mayflower) / Nephi’s Courage
- Log cabin (home) / The Wise Man and the Foolish Man
- Cornucopia (fruits and vegetables) / The Prophet Said to Plant a Garden
- Fall tree (fall)/ Autumn Day
- Pilgrim feast / For Health and Strength
- American Indians / Book of Mormon Stories
- Turkey / Give Said the Little Stream
- Pilgrim and American Indian praying / I Pray In Faith
If you want to add some actions or something to do as you sing each song, I’ve got some ideas from other lesson plans you can pull in:
- Nephi’s Courage – Puppets & actions on chorus found HERE
- The Wise Man and the Foolish Man – actions or blow these houses HERE
- The Prophet Said to Plant a Garden – pass around a whole bunch of fake (or real) food to the beat of the song that would be found in a garden as you sing
- Autumn Day – actions using die cut leaves found HERE
- For Health and Strength – sing as a round, details HERE
- Book of Mormon Stories – actions
- Give Said the Little Stream – wands like I’ve done HERE
- I Pray in Faith – Review Necklaces HERE or actions found HERE
Or you can do something like Primary Yoga HERE
to easily shake things up as well. If you have more ideas, leave a comment!
The actual words of the story go into their own sheet protector with nothing behind them:
When the book is completely put together, you’ll have the cover page, then the first line of the story “The pilgrims came to America on a…” When you turn the page, the next page will be the picture of the boat:
which will have the song Nephi’s Courage right behind it:
And so on. If you keep all the pages in order as they are printed, everything will fall into place where it should go.
Then put your book in a 3-ring binger. That way it will be able to be propped up on a table as you sing:
Then you’ll also need 8 magnets and words to post for any unfamiliar songs. See how I post words to songs by clicking on the “Posting Words” tab at the top of the page.
Before Primary starts put all the picture/song titles pages on the chalkboard using magnets. Have the song titles facing out and the pictures hidden.
Tell the kids you are going to read them a Thanksgiving story and that each of the pictures of the book are on the chalk board under a song. They have to figure out which song corresponds to the correct picture.
So, for instance, read to them the first page “The pilgrims came to American on…” Then go over to the chalkboard and decide on a song that would answer that phrase. The answer would be Nephi’s Courage (because who else traveled on a boat?). Sing Nephi’s Courage (we’ll probably only sing the 2nd verse that talks about the boat) and then remove the page to reveal the boat (Mayflower). Remove the picture from the board and put it into your story book.
Continue on until all the pictures are removed, the songs are sung and your story book is put together in order. If you have time, read the completed book with all the pictures.
For Junior Primary, I may or may not use the Sr. activity. If I don’t, I’ll just read the book (it will be all put together) and we’ll sing the corresponding song to each picture. Or, I’ll post the pictures on the board with the pictures facing out and the song on the back, that way they can just pick the correct picture to place into the book.
Make sure to check out all of my Thanksgiving singing time lesson plans HERE