This month is a “your choice” song! This is always fun, but can be a hard thing. So many choices, and how do you pick the right one? I always like to look at the theme for the month and start from there (it helps our Program jive a little better!). April’s theme is “Jesus Christ Restored His Church in the Latter Days.” Here are my suggestions (all but the last song are all listed under “Restoration” in the Topics section in the back of the Children’s Songbook):
- An Angel Came to Joseph Smith p. 86
- On a Golden Springtime p. 88 (find my lesson plan HERE)
- The Golden Plates p. 86
- The Priesthood is Restored p. 89**
- The Sacred Grove p. 87
- This is My Beloved Son p. 76 (I chose this song). Find my lesson plans HERE and HERE.
- The Church of Jesus Christ (Find my lesson plan HERE)
**Pat Graham has a lesson plan for teaching this song. Watch it on her workshop video HERE (it’s part 3 at about 11:50 minutes)
For ideas for teaching the other songs, I’d reference the following:
- A Children’s Songbook Companion. Find details of this book HERE.
- Sugardoodle HERE and search for the song alphabetically.
- Search past files on Primusic on Yahoo Groups (find details HERE)
- Google, Pinterest, Facebook (Chorister’s Group HERE), or other singing time blogs of course!
There are a few good hymns that go along with this month as well:
Praise to the Man
(see my 3 week lesson plan HERE
We Thank Thee, Oh God For a Prophet
(this is a good May song choice too! Reference the 2013 Outline HERE
in May for teaching tips)
What are you teaching this month? Leave a comment with your ideas!