May is ANOTHER “your choice” song! To pick my May song, just like April, I looked at May’s theme for the month and started from there (it helps our Program jive a little better!). May’s theme is “Prophets Teach Us to Live the Restored Gospel.” Here are my suggestions (they are all listed under “Prophets” in the Topics section in the back of the Children’s Songbook):
- Book of Mormon Stories p. 118 (find my lesson plan HERE)
- Follow the Prophet p. 110 (find my lesson plan HERE)
- Keep the Commandments p. 146 (find my lesson plan HERE)
- Latter-day Prophets p. 134 (find my lesson plan for this song HERE)
- Nephi’s Courage p. 120 (find my lesson plans for this song HERE and HERE)
- The Prophet Said to Plant a Garden p. 237
- Samuel Tells of the Baby Jesus p. 36 (find my lesson plans for this song HERE and HERE)
- Seek the Lord Early p. 108 (find my lesson plan HERE)
- The Sixth Article of Faith p. 126
- Stand for the Right p. 159 (find my lesson plan for this song HERE)
- We’ll Bring the World His Truth p. 172 (find my lesson plan HERE)
For ideas for teaching the other songs, I’d reference the following:
- A Children’s Songbook Companion. Find details of this book HERE.
- Sugardoodle HERE and search for the song alphabetically.
- Search past files on Primusic on Yahoo Groups (find details HERE)
- Google, Pinterest, Facebook (Chorister’s Group HERE), or other singing time blogs of course!
There are a few good hymns that go along with this month as well:
- Praise to the Man (see my 3 week lesson plan HERE, HERE and HERE)
- We Thank Thee, Oh God For a Prophet (reference the 2013 Outline HERE in May for teaching tips)