I LOVE teaching Follow the Prophet! It’s so light-hearted, energetic and not to mention, the kids sure enjoy it!
- For “follow the prophet”: roll arms (like patty cake!) during “follow the proph..” then clap on the second syllable of proph – “ET” repeating that three times.
- For “don’t go astray”: point your finger and wave it back and forth (as if saying “no no.”) and shake your head back and forth for no.
- Then repeat the arm rolling and clap on the second syllable of proph – “ET” three more times.
- For “he knows the way” do: jazz hands (fingers spread and you shake your hands) with elbows bent.
OR (these actions are a little more technical – perfect for Sr. primary!)
Sister Pat Graham taught this song at her workshop a few years ago that I recorded! You can find the video HERE and it’s Video #4 (titled “Part 4”), at 9:30 (it continues on into Part 5) is when she starts to introduce the song using the “Jewish Folksong” theme presented by the author, Duane Hiatt! The actions she teaches for the chorus are super fun!
- “who knows the way?”
- “what ‘way’ is the song talking about?”
- “what should we do so we don’t go astray?”
- “what does ‘astray’ mean?”
Name That Prophet
Gospel Art Book
You need one for:
- Samuel (great story summary HERE)
Follow the Prophet Activity
**If using the prophet sticks, simply reveal the prophet stick when he is guessed. They’ll hang nicely on the board with a strong magnet. And you only need to print the question mark page once.
My kids keep asking if Follow the Prophet is the longest song in the songbook – I don’t know for sure, but it’s definitely a top 5!!
I’ve been collecting other ideas on teaching this song which I won’t be using so if you want more, here are a few:
- Create mini groups of kids. Assign them a prophet verse and they will get to present information on him. Make sure they know the scripture references and have a set of scriptures so they can read it. Let them color a picture (on big butcher paper would be fun!) and tell the story in their own words. Sing the chorus in between each presentation using the actions posted above.
- The March 2010 Friend had more teaching ideas HERE.
These printables are filed on my Resource Library page under Song Title > Follow the Prophet.