Teach Mother, Tell Me the Story in singing time using, well, a story! This song is perfect for Mother’s Day or any other time of the year!
TIP: to sing in sacrament meeting, have the Primary sing the first verse. Then ask a sister in the ward to sing the second verse! Make sure to put the two verses together after each one has been sung separately!
Singing Time Idea
- 1st phrase: “Mother, tell me the story that I love to hear”: Bring a book with a pink cut out heart on the front.
- 2nd phase: “Tell me of heaven and why I came here”: Bring a baby doll, ask, why DID we come here? [to gain bodies, to be tested, to have joy, etc.]
- 3rd phrase: “Mother, tell how you love me, and gently speak”: Bring a “photo booth” prop of red lips (or something similar) for “gently speaking.” Ask how can we gently speak to our mothers and show we love them? Ask what the word “gently” means.
Our primary purchased this set of props found HERE. Or easily make your own by cutting out lips and attaching to a stick.
- 4th phrase: “And then I’ll go to sleep.”: Bring a pillow. Ask if their mom/parent/guardian has ever fallen asleep when putting them to bed. Also ask if it would help their parents/guardians if children went to bed when told.
- Have the Primary put the props in order as you and the teachers sing.
- Call up 4 children one at a time to introduce the phrase and its associated prop. Once the phrases are learned/discussed, choose 4 more kids to come up and hold a prop. Then repeat with more kids until everyone has had a turn.
More Mother's Day Singing Time Ideas
Make sure to scroll through all of my Mother’s Day posts HERE for more Mother’s Day singing time ideas.