With the 4th of July approaching, try teaching My Flag, My Flag in singing time. This song helps children learn that the flag represents the brave people who fought for our liberty and the freedoms we enjoy!
Scarves work well too just not as patriotic unless they are red, white and blue ;).
Post the words like I do HERE.
- 1 point for everyone singing the correct words
- 1 point for everyone participating
- 1 point for reverence
- 1 point for no distractions (papers, neighbors, etc.)
- 1 point for feeling the spirit
Do the same activity as listed above but without teams. Simply let the “best singers” come up and step from the back of the room to the bucket as the rest of the primary sings.
- Raise the flags when the word “flag,” “wave,” rhyming words, etc. are sung,
- “Bounce” the flags to the rhythm, then to the beat
- Listen for three things our flag represents [the brave, the free, liberty]
- Create large “rainbows” with the flags as we sing each phrase
- Pitch lead (mover the flag up as the notes go up and down as the notes go down)
- Teach leading 4/4 using a simple drawing on the board
- March around the room as you sing, following a leader
Patriotic Singing Time Ideas
Make sure to check out my other Patriotic singing time ideas HERE.