The information found here is what I used to teach at our Stake Primary Music Training meeting. I thought I’d post here what I shared at that meeting for anyone who is interested. I took a wagon full of resources and visuals with me. I was quite the sight!
DISCLAIMER: if you are looking for new information, I’m really sorry…everything I taught is already found throughout my blog. This is just kind of a catch-all. I wish I had some brand new information to disclose but alas, it’s just my tried and true information that I’m just reiterating.
- How to Teach a Song (Find more details on this information HERE)
- KNOW the song (listen to it, play on the piano, etc)
- Repetition through variety is critical for not burning out (you or the kids) including asl, actions, movement, puppets, pictures, echoing, rhythm instruments, etc. (find all my lesson plans to all the songs I’ve taught HERE)
- Bear testimony
- Pray – know that this is a very DIFFICULT calling
- Monthly Outline (find details HERE)
- Binder (including posting words) (find details HERE
- When Teaching (supply caddy, choosing sticks) (find details HERE and HERE)
- Scheduling your month: (find details HERE)
2 weeks each month on learning the program songs1 week each month on reviewing the songs learned for the year1 week each month on a holiday/season/event, non-program related
1 – 5 min: scripture song (Articles of Faith, Books in the …, etc.) Great for transition time and/or opening exercises!!10 – 15 min: lesson plan
Singing Time Resources
- Current year’s Music for Singing Time HERE
- Music resources found on lds.org HERE
- A Children’s Songbook Companion (find details HERE)
- Primary Music Leader Facebook Group (find details HERE)
- Gospel Art Book – take it apart! (find details HERE)
- Board – you can tweak almost any activity to only involve the chalkboard (find details HERE)
- camillesprimaryideas.com (New Chorister’s tab) (find details HERE)
Singing Time Props
2017 Singing Time Schedule
Stake Music Gift
Have you ever taught or attended a stake music training meeting? Leave a comment with your ideas and thoughts of what you took away or would like to see at one!
These printables are filed on my Resource Library page under Category Title > Stake Workshop.