I saw that my primary presidency all had their outlines a few weeks ago and apparently and I wasn’t on the list to get one – bummer. So I headed out to the Distribution Center to get my own (am I the only one who doesn’t like the bulky printed-from-home version?). I was a little surprised this year. They told me they were only selling 3 copies per person. Apparently they only received one shipment and when the outlines were gone, they were gone. To try to make it fair for everyone, they put a limit on how many you can purchase. I only bought one so hopefully there are some for the others who shop at the Ft. Union Distribution Center :)! If you don’t have yours yet, you can get it a few different ways:
- Ask your Primary Presidency if they have received their copies from the Bishopric (or ask the Bishopric directly!). We only got 3 copies, but in my opinion, the Music Leader should be one to receive a copy!
- Head to your local Distribution Center (if available)
- Download the outline HERE
I’ve been thumbing through it to get my 2017 CD song list ready go to (our primary hands out CD’s as a Christmas present from the Primary each year. See my previous years of CD’s HERE
(2017 version coming next week!). You can also make a DVD. See how I used them in a DVD format for singing time last year HERE
Here’s a quick summary of next year’s songs:
- January: As a Child of God outline p. 28 – find my lesson plan HERE
- February: Choose the Right p. 239 – find my lesson plan HERE
- March: Stand for the Right/Dare to Do Right Medley found HERE (find my lesson plan for Stand for the Right p. 159 HERE)
- April: When He Comes Again* p. 20 – find my lesson plan HERE
- May: When I Am Baptized p. 103 – find my lesson plan HERE
- June: Nephi’s Courage p. 120 – find my lesson plan HERE
- July: Every Star is Different* p. 142 – find my lesson plan HERE
- August: I’m Trying to Be like Jesus p. 78 – find my lesson plan HERE
*These are my 2 “song of your choice from the Children’s Songbook” choices.
As I’ve been looking through the outline, there are some great tips and teaching advice:
Page 1 has a “Singing Time” section which gives simple instruction on how singing time should run, how much time you get, etc. Also are guidelines for the Sacrament Meeting Presentation.
Page 9 has “Helps for the Music Leader” for teaching He Sent His Son (a possible choice for that month’s choose-your-own song)…
Page 11 had a good tip about involving all children: “You can involve younger children by pairing them with older children.” Especially if you have a combined Jr. and Sr. primary, this is a great tip! The younger children are helped by the older ones and the principles taught are reinforced in the older children as they help/teach the younger ones.
There is a teaching tip on p. 17 for teaching I’m Trying to Be like Jesus:
As a music leader who enjoys having fun in primary, the tip on p. 22 in the left margin was comforting to me regarding games: “Games give variety to lessons and allow children to interact with each other as well as reinforce the gospel principle being taught in a fun way.”
Page 26 – 27 is entitled “How to Use Music in Primary” and has some great information on teaching the gospel through music, involving all children in musical activities and reviewing songs to reinforce gospel principles:
The right hand margin had a tip about encouraging children to sing primary songs at home. Hopefully my CD I hand out each year makes that easier!
Page 28 is a copy of this year’s theme song (to be taught in January), As a Child of God. You can download the music by downloading the whole PDF 2017 Sharing Time Outline found at the link above.
Anyway, there you have it, a brief outline of 2017’s outline. If you haven’t looked through it yet, I’d highly recommend it! January is just around the corner and it’s nice to have a head start on next year!