Teach your Primary about enjoying God’s richest blessings that are often overlooked! Do so by using this simple Autumn Day Primary singing time idea!
I was at our local story time at the library. They passed out die cut leaves on strings to all the kids. The Primary music leader in me just KNEW it would be perfect to pull into singing time!
These leaves work well with a few of our fall Primary songs, It’s Autumntime, Autumn Day and Rain is Falling. The leaves are so simple to prepare. You only need a few supplies:
- laminated leaf die-cuts with a hole punched into them
- about an 8-inch string attached
Fall Leaves Printables
Autumn Day Singing Time Idea
Teach these some simple actions to learn this song:
- Autumn Day: sway left and right to the rhythm of the song as you sing “autumn day”
- God gives richest gifts today: hold the leaves out as if giving a gift to someone
- Look on ev’ry: bounce leaves to the rhythm then turn to the right when you finish singing ev’ry
- side and see: bounce leaves to the rhythm then turn to the right when you finish singing see
- Pleasant things for you and: bounce leaves to the rhythm then turn to the right (facing the back wall) when you finish singing and
- me: bounce leaves to the rhythm then turn to the right when you finish holding the word “me” so you are facing the front for the next phrase.
- Apples red and apples yellow: red and yellow leaves hold up their colors when they are sun
- Round and juicy, sweet and mellow: turn in a circle
- Load the trees till they bend over And their branches brush the clover: gradually bend over so the leaves touch the ground, then drop the leaves on the ground
- Child, be glad with all that lives, But forget not God, who gives: Slowly pick up the leaf as if it’s growing and raise it up high toward heaven.
Directive Listening Questions
Optionally, ask these directive listening questions:
- Who should we not forget? [God, who gives]
- Each child should be happy with all that lives. The song doesn’t use the word happy. What word do you hear? [glad]
- What does God give us when autumn comes our way? [richest gifts]
- If we look on every side, what will we see? [pleasant things for you and me]
- We sing six words that describe the apples. What words do you hear? [red, yellow, round, juicy, sweet, mellow]
- Round, juicy apples load the trees until the trees do what? [bend over and their branches brush the clover – which is a type of green grass]
Autumn Day Handbell Chart
Make sure also check It’s Autumntime handbell chart!
Autumn Day for Nursery
Also try using these leaf actions for singing Autumn Day with your nursery!
The Primary song It’s Autumntime is similar to Autumn Day and can be taught similarly with this Autumn Day singing time idea.
Rain is Falling All Around
Switch the words from “rain is falling” to “leaves are falling” in the Primary song Rain is Falling and you have yet ANOTHER great singing time lesson plan utilizing these fall leaves!
These printables are filed on the Resource Library page under Song Title > Autumn Day.