This week I picked up a copy of the 2018 Outline for Sharing Time at my local Distribution Center! Just in time to start getting a little organized for next year. If you don’t have yours yet, you can get it a few different ways:
- Ask your Primary Presidency if they have received their copies from the Bishopric (or ask the Bishopric directly!). We only got 3 copies, but in my opinion, the Music Leader should be one to receive a copy!
- Head to your local Distribution Center (if available)
- Download the outline HERE
I always like to do a simple annual overview this time of year, then fine-tune it each month with my Singing Time Schedules (if you don’t know how I do those, check out my post HERE). I also work on my 2018 CD song list (our primary hands out CD’s as a Christmas present from the Primary each year). See my previous years of CD’s HERE (2018 version coming next week…I’m not sure if I’ll be copying exactly my 2013 version HERE but it’s a good start). You can also make a DVD. See how I used them in a DVD format for singing time last year HERE!).
Here’s a quick summary of next year’s songs:
- January: I Am a Child of God p. 2 – find my lesson plan HERE
- February: My Heavenly Father Loves Me p. 228 – find my lesson plan HERE
- March: If the Savior Stood Beside Me p. 28 of the 2018 Outline – find my lesson plan HERE
- April: On a Golden Springtime* p. 88
- May: Book of Mormon Stories* p. 118 (all 8 verses)
- June: When I Am Baptized – find my lesson plan HERE
- July: Families Can Be Together Forever p. 188 – find my lesson plan HERE
- August: A Child’s Prayer p. 12 p. 78 – find my lesson plan HERE
*These are my 2 “song of your choice from the Children’s Songbook” choices. I’ll have lesson plans ready a week or so before I start teaching these. These songs are also different from what I taught in 2013 – thought I’d branch out a bit and teach some songs we haven’t learned yet.
The beauty about doing this calling long-term is everything has been repeating every 5 years. You can check out all of my 2013 posts HERE
(including the 2 my-choice songs I picked then) which have the same material as 2018! Some of the posts need a little TLC so I’ll be updating/modifying them throughout next year.
As I’ve been looking through the outline, there are some great tips and teaching advice worth noting:
Page 1 has a “Singing Time” section which gives simple instruction on how singing time should run, how much time you get (which specifically says, “A 20-minute segment of sharing time should be devoted to singing and teaching music.” Make sure you get that!!), along with other information. Also are guidelines for the Sacrament Meeting Presentation.
Page 3 has “Helps for the Music Leader” for teaching I Am a Child of God…
Page 11 has “Helps for the Music Leader” for teaching We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet (a possible song choice for that month)…
Page 17 has “Helps for the Music Leader” for teaching A Child’s Prayer…
There was a tip on p. 22 regarding primary songs reinforcing the doctrine! I always like to choose the song we sing for opening exercises to coincide with the weekly sharing time lesson for this very reason.
Page 26 – 27 is entitled “How to Use Music in Primary” and has some great information on emphasizing the gospel principles in the song, using visual aids and using actions to engage children…
Page 28 is a copy of this year’s theme song (to be taught in March), If the Savior Stood Beside Me
. You can download the music by downloading the whole PDF 2018 Sharing Time Outline found at the link above or HERE
Anyway, there you have it, a brief outline of 2018’s outline. If you haven’t looked through it yet, I’d highly recommend it! January is just around the corner and it’s nice to have a head start on next year! Throughout the year, you can check out all of my posts related to the 2018 outline HERE
. (I’d recommend you reading them from oldest post to the newest post!).