This Easter Egg Review singing lime lesson plan idea uses simple Easter eggs and an egg hunt to review any songs!
Each song/activity is represented by 1 color:
- Yellow – I Am a Child of God
- Green – My Heavenly Father Loves Me
- Blue – If the Savior Stood Beside Me
- Orange – He Died That We Might Live Again (or any Easter song of your choice)
- Pink – Quote tying Easter into the Easter egg (I found the quote from lds.org HERE)
Each word in the title of each song will be placed in its own egg along with an extra egg that will include an activity for singing that song (this is just a way for more children to be able to hunt for an egg. If you like, place the entire title of a song in one egg and the activity in another).
The activities include:
- Yellow – [I Am a Child of God]: Hop like a bunny when you sing “I” or “me”
- Green – [My Heavenly Father Loves Me]: Flap wings like a little chick following the conductor going fast or slow
- Blue – [If the Savior Stood Beside Me]: Sing using sign language
- Orange – [He Died That We Might Live Again]: Pass out shaker eggs and shake to the rhythm (see how I made mine HERE)
Download my document which contains a list of the songs and activities. Cut out the words of each song title and then cut out each activity. Place each song/activity in the same color of eggs. For the pink egg quote, there are 2 options – you can word scramble the quote and the kids can put it together or you can put the smaller font sized quote in 1 pink egg.
Before primary, scatter/hide the eggs around the room. For the activity, call on one class at a time to help find all the eggs of the same color. I’d recommend going in order – yellow, green, blue, orange, pink. Have the kids collect them in an Easter basket. That same class can then open them up to reveal the title of the song to unscramble and read the activity to go along while you sing it. Sing the song and do the activity.
You could also have the whole primary find an egg at the very beginning, then group everybody with the same colors together and the groups must unscramble the eggs all at the same time. Then starting with the yellow group, sing all the songs and do the related activity, quickly moving to the next group, etc. This would be faster if you are short on time.
Repeat with a different class and a different color until all the eggs have been revealed and all the songs have been sung. At the end, find a picture of the Resurrected Christ (I found this one HERE
Bear testimony that you know Jesus Christ died that we might live again and that one day we can live with Him and Heavenly Father again if we live righteously. It might also be fun to pass out an empty egg to the kids and challenge them to write their testimony on a slip of paper and give it to a non-member friend this week!
If you want to go even more simple, use 1 Easter egg and play Hot ‘n Cold. Find details HERE
for that activity.
Another idea incorporating Easter and reviewing program songs is using the Seven Days Until Easter activity from the March 2018 Friend
that I posted about HERE
. Use my blank document without the suggested songs to use and instead, reviewing each of our program songs for each of the 7 bubbles. Reader Beatrice commented how she’s incorporating it and I LOVED her idea:
“I really liked this idea, but I felt like our primary needed an extra week just for If the Savior Stood Beside Me, so I adapted this for a review of the three songs we have learned this year. I assigned a verse or two to each of the 7 quotes from Christ, and I thought that it turned out so well I am sharing it here:
- #7: I am a Child of God verse 2 — focusing on how it is never too late to repent in this life and that God will always forgive us.
- #6: I am a Child of God verse 3 — focusing on the rich blessing of living with God again.
- #5: I am a Child of God verse 1 — focusing on our parents and family and people that show us love.
- #4: If the Savior Stood Beside Me verse 2 & 3 — verse 2 because we talk when we pray and verse 3 because He is near us when we are praying even if we can’t see Him.
- #3: My Heavenly Father Loves Me both verses — focusing on our mortal state on this Earth and our bodies.
- #2: If the Savior Stood Beside Me verse 1 — focusing on trying hard to follow Jesus’ example.
- #1: I am a Child of God verse 4 — focusing on how we can live with our earthly and Heavenly families when we are in the Celestial kingdom.
And then you can end with whatever Easter song you want for Happy Easter! We are going to do Did Jesus Really Live Again.”
Thank you Beatrice for sharing! I also have LOTS of Easter singing time activities posted HERE
that you can scroll through for more ideas!
Looking ahead…with no lesson plan to plan for due to General Conference (YAY!!) I will be updating my Nursery Bag found HERE
. My Follow the Prophet
props need updating to reflect new prophet visuals. If you don’t have a nursery bag but have been longing for one, this is a great week to put it all together, especially since Easter eggs will be plentiful :).
And looking even more ahead, I’ll be updating all my General Conference visuals (all found HERE
) once we find out who our new apostles will be! The week after General Conference we’ll discuss all the changes that we made in our leadership during Conference! Always LOTS to do!!