Your primary children need to know that wherever they live is the best place to live because it’s where your home and family are found! Teach this doctrine by learning the primary song, My Country.
**This post contains an affiliate link. That means I receive a small commission from sales at no cost to you. But know that I wouldn’t recommend this product if I didn’t LOVE it!
I digitally colored the images found in A Children’s Songbook Companion then enlarged them.
Along with word strips for the following words:
Black and white images are also available. Access my printables at my Resource Library. Instructions for accessing my Resource Library are found at the bottom of this post. Print the images on card stock, cut out and laminate (optional). Then cut out the word strips.
Before primary, hang one image and one word strip around the primary room. The more random, the better.
Pass a mini flag to each child similar to these (Amazon affiliate link):
Scarves work well too!
To introduce the song, you and the teachers sing the song. Post the words using this flip chart format.
Have the primary look around the room for visuals that coincide with what you are singing. See if they can figure out what each image is [desert, mountains, iceberg] and where each word strip is sung in the song.
Pass out a flag or scarf to each child. Ask them to follow along with you as you do simple actions with your flag.
- my country: stand (and stay standing)
- pride: place your hand that’s holding the flag over your heart
- desert: using the flag, turn to point to the desert image (so if it’s on the back wall, turn to the back wall)
- mountains: point to the mountain image
- land iceberg bound: point to the iceberg image
- It’s here my home and loved ones are found: move flags up and down across your body as if marching in a parade with a flag, then sit on the word “found”
- my country: sit stand (and stay standing)
- I do: point to self using the flag
- mighty/noble/true: point to the word strips placed randomly around the room
- love: place your hand that’s holding the flag over your heart
- Long may it be a land where my people are honest and free: wave flags back and forth over head
Bear testimony that wherever you live is the best place to live because it’s where your home and family are found.
More Patriotic Singing Time Ideas
Make sure to check out more Patriotic singing time ideas.
These printables are filed on my Resource Library page under Song Title > My Country.