Pass out a pencil to each child. We will be able to do multiple activities and patterns with the pencils as we sing/listen to the songs:
- Tap the beat of the song on the back of the chair in front them (for children in the front row, place a chair in front of them to tap on).
- Tap the rhythm of the song on the back of the chair in front of them.
- Pitch lead (as the music go up or down, so does the pencil).
- Teach the children to lead 4/4, 3/4 and 2/4 depending on the song.
- Create physical movement for the children to make on rests or on certain phrases in the song.
- Raise pencils when a word from the song talks about a member of the family (mom, dad, sister, brother, etc.)
Then I also like to bring in the songs on CD and play them on the CD player (your phone with a speaker would work well too). This way I’m not singing a solo and we all have reinforcement from the recordings.
All my printables are free and filed on my Resource Library. Filing instructions for accessing each printable on my Resource Library are below the button.
These printables are filed on my Resource Library page under Category Title > Family Band.