Pass out a pencil to each child. We will be able to do multiple activities and patterns with the pencils as we sing/listen to the songs:
- Tap the beat of the song on the back of the chair in front them (for children in the front row, place a chair in front of them to tap on).
- Tap the rhythm of the song on the back of the chair in front of them.
- Pitch lead (as the music go up or down, so does the pencil).
- Teach the children to lead 4/4, 3/4 and 2/4 depending on the song.
- Create physical movement for the children to make on rests or on certain phrases in the song.
- Raise pencils when a word from the song talks about a member of the family (mom, dad, sister, brother, etc.)
Then I also like to bring in the songs on CD and play them on the CD player (your phone with a speaker would work well too). This way I’m not singing a solo and we all have reinforcement from the recordings.