Jesus Once Was a Little Child reminds me of a lullaby! Which makes sense because it’s all about the young Jesus. Sway to this lullaby using these simple scarf actions as you teach Jesus Once Was a Little Child in singing time!
Singing Time Idea
To introduce the song, read a VERY short story found in the January 2019 Friend HERE.
It’s so quick, fast and simple, that it makes for the perfect introduction! You can simply read it from the Friend, or I created larger printables so each picture is its own page. As you read each page, post it on the board using a magnet or tape.
Access my printables at my Resource Library. Instructions for accessing my Resource Library are found at the bottom of this post
Or if you prefer, there are also 2 pictures in the Gospel Art Book HERE of Jesus as a child that you could post on the chalkboard while you read the story.
Pass out scarves. I have these ones here:
Or you can make your own out of scraps of fabric (old sheets work well!), or cut tulle into squares, use handkerchiefs, etc. or have the kids simply use some other simple object.
Then I’ve come up with some simple actions to use with the scarves as you teach and memorize the words:
- So little children: crouch and swing scarves back and forth
- let you and I: stand up and point outward with the scarf then inward
- try to be like him, try, try, try: every time you sing the word “try,” have the kids throw their scarf up in the air and try to catch it!
- Jesus once was a: begin swaying and swinging scarves back and forth
- little child: crouch and swing scarves back and forth near the floor
- a little child: continue to crouch and swing scarves
- like me: stand and turn around in place
- and he was pure* and meek* and mild*: return to swaying but assign certain colors a word to raise up their scarf when their word is sung
- as a little child: crouch and swing scarves
- should be: stand and sway, swinging scarves back and forth
- He played as little children play the pleasant games of youth: Have the kids find a partner and swap the scarves with each other to the beat without dropping the scarf (like they are playing a game!).
- But he never got vexed* if the game went wrong: slowly draw a large “X”
- And he always spoke the truth: make a large circle in the air
*When you come to the words “pure” “meek” and “mild” and “vexed,” in the verses write them on the chalkboard and define them:
- Pure: true and fair
- Meek: humble and modest
- Mild: gentle and patient
- Vexed: angry
Jesus Once Was a Little Child Scarf Actions
Check out my demonstration video for the scarf actions here:
Bear testimony that we should always try to be like Jesus!
Find my Mirror the Savior Review Activity for this song HERE.
These printables are filed on my Resource Library page under Song Title > Jesus Once Was a Little Child.