Sing the song again this time with you demonstrating actions using a scarf.
Or you can make your own out of scraps of fabric (old sheets work well!), or cut tulle into squares, use handkerchiefs, etc. or have the kids simply use some other simple object.
Then I’ve come up with some simple actions to use with the scarves as you teach and memorize the words:
- So little children: crouch and swing scarves back and forth
- let you and I: stand up and point outward with the scarf then inward
- try to be like him, try, try, try: every time you sing the word “try,” have the kids throw their scarf up in the air and try to catch it!
- Jesus once was a: begin swaying and swinging scarves back and forth
- little child: crouch and swing scarves back and forth near the floor
- a little child: continue to crouch and swing scarves
- like me: stand and turn around in place
- and he was pure* and meek* and mild*: return to swaying but assign certain colors a word to raise up their scarf when their word is sung
- as a little child: crouch and swing scarves
- should be: stand and sway, swinging scarves back and forth
- He played as little children play the pleasant games of youth: Have the kids find a partner and swap the scarves with each other to the beat without dropping the scarf (like they are playing a game!).
- But he never got vexed* if the game went wrong: slowly draw a large “X”
- And he always spoke the truth: make a large circle in the air
*When you come to the words “pure” “meek” and “mild” and “vexed,” in the verses write them on the chalkboard and define them:
- Pure: true and fair
- Meek: humble and modest
- Mild: gentle and patient
- Vexed: angry
At the very end, bear testimony that we should always try to be like Jesus!
Find my Mirror the Savior Review Activity for this song HERE.
All my printables are free and can be downloaded from my Resource Library. Access to my Resource Library is sent to you via email and not linked here. If you need initial access to my Resource Library or need access sent to you again, click on the button below, fill out your information then check your email. Instructions for accessing each printable on my Resource Library are below the button. Check out my email tutorial HERE for more help.
These printables are filed on my Resource Library page under Song Title > Jesus Once Was a Little Child.