Review Did You Think to Pray using a simple melody map drawn on the board.
To review, you will need the string sticks (or tied strings) used in the lesson plan HERE.
Before primary, draw both pages of the following melody map on the board:
Download these files to use as a guide (just don’t write the words in until primary as those are the answers!). Access my printables at my Resource Library. Instructions for accessing my Resource Library are found at the bottom of this post.
Singing Time Idea
To begin, have the primary sing through the entire verse and chorus as they try to figure out what the melody map is. Post the words as needed like I do HERE.
Tell them it’s called a melody map. Show the kids how to move their hands up or down as the dots and lines go up and down. This is called pitch leading or moving your hand up or down as the notes go up or down.
Directive Listening Questions
- Pitch lead to find a word that means tired and write it on the melody map [wea-ry]
- Pitch lead and find out what can change the night to day [prayer]
- Pitch lead to find the rhyming word for weary [dreary]
- Pitch lead and find out the rhyming word for day [pray]
- What is the string reminding me about? [don’t forget to pray]
- Before you left your room this morning, what should you do? [think to pray]
- What word does the song say that means before? [ere]
- Listen for another name for Jesus [Christ our Savior]
- What does the song say instead of ask? [sue]
- What was the favor you asked for? [shield]
Sing one last time with all the answers filled in. Time permitting, gradually erase the words, then the lines and eventually the dots.
Bear testimony of the importance of praying.
Check out my quick demonstration video for teaching Did You Think to Pray using the melody map in singing time using this lesson plan:
You can also find this video on my YouTube channel HERE. I’d love it if you’d like and subscribe!
More Singing Time Ideas
Check out more singing time ideas for teaching Did You Think to Pray? in singing time HERE.
These printables are filed on my Resource Library page under Song Title > Did You Think To Pray?.