Tell Me, Dear Lord is one of November’s song suggestions and I’ll be teaching it this Sunday in singing time. I’ll be honest, I’m not very familiar with this song so I’m excited to be able to
teach it learn it right along with my primary!
For the boy and girl heads, once again, Susan Fitch has come to my rescue! Glue on the heads to the fabric puppet.
Then I have a printable of the poem to glue onto the back of the puppet so you can read it as you perform the little play.
The pattern, Susan Fitch’s boy and girl heads and the poem are available to download using my access button at the bottom of this post.
I zig-zagged around the edges using my sewing machine to put my fabric pieces together. Then I hot-glued the head and poem on the front and back. But hot glue would totally suffice for the entire project!
My picture looks like I sewed the bottom of the puppets shut but there’s an opening to put your hand inside ;).
To teach the song, you will be using Gospel Art Book (GAB) and Gospel Art Kit (GAK) pictures. You can find most of these HERE. Then there are simple actions (which are mostly for Jr. primary).
- Jesus in Gethsemane – “Tell me, Dear Lord, in thine own way I pray” (picture of Jesus praying in his way) ACTION: point to mouth (tell) then fold arms (pray)
- Daniel refusing king’s meat – “What thou wouldst have me say and do today” – (Daniel was doing what the Lord wants) ACTION: put arms up as if to question (what) then point to mouth (say)
- Sermon on the Mount – “Teach me to know and love thy will, O Lord” – (Jesus teaching) ACTION: point to head (know) then place hand over heart (love)
- Joseph Smith reading Bible – “Help me to understand thy loving word” – (Joseph later prayed for understanding of Bible) ACTION: point to head (understand) then point to mouth (word)
- Lehi & Liahona – “I would be guided by thy loving hand” – (Liahona provided guidance) ACTION: show hands (hand)
- Jesus with Mary & Martha – “Would hear thy voice, obey thy blest command” – (Mary & Martha heard Jesus’ voice) ACTION: cup ears (hear)
- Jesus healing blind man – “Each moment just to know that thou art near” – (Jesus was there for the blind man) ACTION: clasp hands near chest (near)
- David & Goliath – “Will strength impart and banish every fear” – (David was given strength and courage) ACTION: brush left arm then right arm as if brushing something off your clothing (banish)
Singing Time Lesson Plan:
After you’ve introduced the song using the prayer puppets, tell the children that if we want to learn Heavenly Father’s will, we must pray and ask him. We’re going to be learning a song that talks about communicating with Heavenly Father through prayer.
Place the pictures on the chalkboard and point to each image as you and the teachers sing the song (post the words like I do HERE). Gradually point out key words (or have children pick them out) and write them underneath each picture. Then teach the associated action.
Sing each phrase with each action, gradually adding on until you’ve taught the entire song.
Bear testimony that Joseph Smith was able to get answer to his prayer about what church to join by praying. Like Joseph, we can know Heavenly Father’s will for us if we pray and ask him. Then display a picture of the prophet if you like.
I also have a Lesson Plan To-Go available to download using the button below.
All my printables are free and filed on my Resource Library. Filing instructions for accessing each printable on my Resource Library are below the button.
These printables are filed on my Resource Library page under Song Title > Tell Me, Dear Lord.