I have always wanted to do a Lucky vs. Blessed singing time idea around St. Patrick’s Day after seeing this post HERE. My version is completely different so here’s my spin on it!
Being lucky assumes something is left merely up to chance. While being blessed implies seeing the Lord’s hand in all things. Having good luck charms are always fun but true blessings always come from the Lord!
This lucky vs. blessed singing time idea has clovers to choose from that either have a “lucky” song to sing or a “blessed” song to sing.
The things that are considered “lucky” are associated with a fun wiggle song! I found a list HERE of common “lucky symbols.” This is what I chose:
Lucky Items & Songs:
- 4-Leaf Clover: “Give,” Said the Little Stream (clover grows next to streams) use wands (optional), more details HERE
- Jade Rock: The Wise Man and The Foolish Man (build on a rock) use actions
- Lucky Penny: My Hands (find a penny, pick it up with your hands) use actions
- Horseshoe: If You’re Happy (animals make us happy!) use jingle bells found HERE (optional) and stomp your feet – we like to put them around our toes (over shoes – or the velcro ones around our ankles are REALLY fun!) as we stomp!
The songs I chose in the “blessed” category are our program songs we’ve learned so far (and 1 we’re learning next week for Easter). But choose what you’ve learned if you want to do more reviewing or sing non-program songs if you like!
Blessed Items & Songs:
- Scriptures: The Iron Rod (we are blessed to be able to read the scriptures) use actions with pencils (optional) found HERE
- Prophets: Nephi’s Courage (we are blessed to have prophets) use stick puppets and actions (optional) found HERE
- Jesus Christ: As I Walk with Jesus (Jesus constantly blesses our life!) use simplified ASL actions(optional) HERE
- Atonement: Hosanna (through the atonement, we are blessed to be able to live with Heavenly Father again) use bell chart (optional) HERE
I’m not using these but thought they might help in case your songs choices for the year are different than mine. If you have different songs with different items, leave a comment to help others out!
More Blessed Items & Songs:
I created these simple four-leaf clovers to post on the board that include everything in my lists above.
Each clover print on a single sheet of paper. Print on green paper (or white and color in) then cut out. I also have a blank clover so you can write in whatever you like! It’s the last page of my document (page 10). So print what you need.
You can access my printables at my Resource Library. Instructions for accessing my Resource Library are found at the bottom of this post.
To use the activity in singing time, simply hang the clover on the board with the text facing the the board (so it’s not showing). Page 1 that says “Lucky vs. Blessed” faces outward and is placed in the center.
Have a child (or have each class decide together – maybe number the back so they can pick one from their seats) choose a clover and sing the song with the associated activity.
Make sure to also check out all of my other St. Patrick’s Day singing time activities HERE.
These printables are filed on my Resource Library page under Category Title > St. Patrick’s Day.