Our family LOVES the olympics and watching the various events together! And often WAY too late into the night! I can’t think of a better way to review in singing time than with a summer olympics review activity! It will get your primary singing, moving and imitating olympic events! Review any songs – although I have my suggestions below!
I’ve brought the olympics into singing time over the past several years! You can find my past years’ variations HERE.
My printables are pretty self-explanatory in order to use in primary:
For the cycling, have the piano play faster and slower. Roll your arms as you follow the piano’s lead.
For volleyball, have each side of the room sing one phrase. “Volley” or throw the “ball” from one side to the other. For marathon, try singing each phrase in one breath or challenge the kids to sing as long as they can without taking a breath ;). No passing out please!
Synchronized swimming works great with actions, simplified ASL or my Yoga cards found HERE. Imitate a kayaking motion and as you stroke the oar from each side. Sing one side song choppy for one phrase then smooth on the other side with the next phrase. Have the piano follow your lead.
Dance with wands like I do HERE for rhythmic gymnastics. Then for archery, draw your arms like a bow and sing loudly. When you release, sing softly.
There are 8 different singing time Olympic events so you can review up to 8 songs. Access my printables at my Resource Library. Instructions for accessing my Resource Library are found at the bottom of this post.
After you print, write a song you want to review with that event on the back. These are what we are reviewing for the program with each event:
- Joseph Smith’s First Prayer – Torch Relay
- The Priesthood is Restored – Marathon
- When He Comes Again – Volleyball
- Jesus Said Love Everyone – Synchronized Swimming
- Have I Done Any Good? – Kayaking
- Reverence is Love – Rhythmic Gymnastics
**Because we only have 6 songs for our program, I may add in these 2 suggested songs for August (time permitting):
- The Holy Ghost – Archery
- I Am a Child of God – Cycling
I also have a printable with these suggestions:
Cut everything apart and tape or glue to the back of your events.
Hang everything on the board with the events facing out, covering the songs. Pick an event and sing the song with the suggested olympic activity. Easy and super fun!!
In addition to the printables, make sure to bring:
- A flashlight with yellow/orange tissue paper taped to it (optional) to represent a torch for the torch relay
- Yoga cards for the synchronized swimming found HERE if you don’t have a song to sing with actions or simplified ASL
- Wands and position cards HERE for rhythmic gymnastics
- Go the extra mile and bring “Gold” medals for everyone when you finish! Chocolate gold coins or Rolos work great!
For more review activities, make sure to check out my Review Activities page HERE.
These printables are filed on my Resource Library page under Category Title > Olympics > 2021 Singing Time Summer Olympics [document].