I Will Be Valiant has such a steady and rhythmic beat to it! Your primary will love “driving” along to the beat as they learn it in singing time!
My original lesson plan posted HERE was geared more for home centered. But with a simple modification, it’s easy to teach in singing time. More details on accessing my printables are linked there.
Road Sign Activity
Explain that road signs help us stay safe like stop signs, speed limits and other warning road signs. Ask what would driving be like without these signs? Just like road signs, music has signs that help us create beautiful music.
Pass out “steering wheels” to your primary (paper plates). You and teachers sing the song as the primary “drives” their cars in place.
Post one of the road signs on the board:
Access my printables at my Resource Library. Instructions for accessing my Resource Library are found at the bottom of this post.
Describe what each musical term means. Then “drive” the car using that road sign as you sing the song:
- Crescendo: lift paper plates wheels up to indicate when to sing louder
- Staccato: move steering forward and back as you sing choppy
- Fermata: Have the pianist hold various notes and hold the paper
plates out as you hold those notes
- Decrescendo: lower paper plate wheels to indicate when to sing softer
- Piano: twist the paper plates gently to indicate quiet or soft
- Metronome mark: use the Pulse – Metronome Tap & Tempo app (or an actual metronome) to find 120 decibels and lift and lower the paper plates to that tempo
- Forte: twist the paper plates quickly to indicate loud
- Slur: move the paper plates to create a large rainbow with each phrase, holding the breath for each phrase
Bear testimony that we should be valiant in obeying the commandments just like we should be valiant in obeying street signs. Both keep us safe.
Super Valiant Man
I ran across this SUPER (see what I did there??) awesome video for teaching I Will Be Valiant on the Primary Music Leaders FB page. It is just too great not to share! Find the video HERE.
If you want to teach simple actions, try it out! And feel free to dress up yourself along with a few kiddos for an added effect!
If you need a few more suggestions for teaching I Will Be Valiant, check out LDS Printables HERE.
I also have more help for teaching other suggested songs for 2021 Music for Singing Time. Scroll through all of my posts HERE.
All my printables are free and can be downloaded from my Resource Library. Access to my Resource Library is sent to you via email and not linked here. If you need initial access to my Resource Library or need access sent to you again, click on the button below, fill out your information then check your email. Instructions for accessing each printable on my Resource Library are below the button. Check out my email tutorial HERE for more help.
These printables are filed on my Resource Library page under Song Title > I Will Be Valiant.