It’s about time we teach Praise to the Man in singing time! This beloved hymn has such a great tune! Your primary kids will catch on to it in a SNAP! Define all the big words and use movement actions to keep them engaged with this singing time lesson plan!
It’s been several years since we’ve taught this hymn in singing time. I’ve taken all of my previous lesson plans and condensed them into 1 simple lesson. Utilizing my favorite parts from each of them.
If you are interested, you can check out all of my various lesson plans here:
Post a picture of Joseph Smith. There is one you can print on the church’s website HERE or it’s also found in the Gospel Art Book that you can order online HERE.
Then read this paragraph about the history of Praise to the Man:
“Praise to the Man” (originally titled “Joseph Smith”) was a poem written as a tribute to Joseph Smith, Jr. by Latter Day Saint leader and hymn writer William W. Phelps. The poem was composed soon after Smith’s death, and was later set to music and adopted as a hymn of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It was first published anonymously in the church newspaper Times and Seasons in August 1844, approximately one month after Smith was killed. The hymn is still used within the church. The hymnal now uses a melody based on “Scotland the Brave” in honor of Phelps’s Scottish heritage.”
I LOVE using Sister Pat Graham’s idea to use the original music of Scotland the Brave (Scotland the Brave by The Drums & Pipes & the Cape Town Highlanders from their Scotland the Brave album) to introduce the tune! Play it on your phone and speaker. The music can be found on YouTube here:
Praise to the Man Activity
Once you introduce the song, it’s time to move into the activity! This activity teaches the 1st and 3rd verses and chorus. But feel free to teach more or less!
Post the phrases to the song (along with its definition) in order on the board.
Access my printables at my Resource Library. Instructions for accessing my Resource Library are found at the bottom of this post.
As you sing each phrase and it’s definition, teach these Sharla Dance inspired action-word actions:
- Praise to the man: Patsch, patsch, patsch, patsch, Big arm circle
- Jesus anointed: Patsch, patsch, patsch, patsch, ASL sign for prophet
- Blessed to open: Patsch, patsch, patsch, patsch, Bent arms held up in front of face then opening
- Kings shall extol: Put on a crown, then hold a scepter, Patsch, patsch, patsch
- Hail to the prophet: Stand up raising hands above head, sit down
- Ascended to heaven: Stand up raising hands above head, sit down
- Traitors and tyrants: Patsch, patsch, patsch, Make an ugly face like a tyrant,
- Now fight him in vain: Patsch, patsch, fist thumps against other palm four times (va- a-i-n)
- Mingling with gods: Patsch, patsch, patsch, patsch, point to your head as if planning something, cross arms across heart
- Death cannot conquer: Wag finger as if saying no, Patsch, patsch, patsch
- Great: Swing your arm in front as if punching
- glory: arms and hands pushing upward like light glowing
- endless his priesthood: hand over eyes then extending forward
- Ever and ever: circle one hand above your head 4 times
- keys: hold out hands, palms up
- hold: put two hands together as if catching something
- Faithful and true: point to your head, bring the side of your hand down to your other palm, then slice thru your palm
- enter his kingdom: hold your hand straight and point it up to heaven
- Crowned: put a crown on your head
- prophets of old: ASL sign for prophet
Learn these actions using the YouTube video here:
Time permitting, gradually remove the words on the board while still doing the actions.
Bear testimony that you know Joseph Smith was a true prophet who sealed his testimony by dying because of his beliefs.
Check out this quick tutorial video for accessing the Resource Library:
These printables are filed on my Resource Library page under Song Title > Praise to the Man.
2 thoughts on “Praise to the Man Singing Time Lesson Plan”
Where to download the flip chart that left side is the words right side is explanation of the words for PRAISE TO THE MAN .thank you.
They are filed on my Resource Library under Song Title > Praise to the Man. I’ve added you to my member list so you now have access. I’ve also emailed you the link.