Have you ever gone caroling? I’ll bet the answer is yes! But have you ever tried reverse caroling? I’ll bet not! This spin on traditional caroling is bound to be loved by your primary and ward members alike!
But alas, I’m not the original creator of this idea. I love to peruse the Primary Music Leaders Facebook account for wonderful ideas! Why reinvent the wheel? What I love is to share what I find, then add an optional printable to go with it!
This activity is no different. I gleaned it from this post HERE.
So what is it you ask? Send 2 children out to find members in the hall and bring them back to singing time (if you get desperate, try the librarian!). Then sing a Christmas primary song to them! Simple, right?!
Christmas Primary Songs
- Samuel Tells of the Baby Jesus p. 36
- Stars Were Gleaming p. 37
- When Joseph Went to Bethlehem p. 38
- Little Jesus p. 39
- There Was Starlight on the Hillside p. 40
- The Shepherd’s Carol p. 40
- Once within a Lowly Stable p. 41
- Away in a Manger p. 42
- Mary’s Lullaby p. 44
- Who Is the Child? p. 46
- Sleep, Little Jesus p. 47
- Oh, Hush Thee, My Baby p. 48
- Picture a Christmas p. 50
- Have a Very Merry Christmas p. 51
- The Nativity Song p. 52
- Christmas Bells p. 54
I jazzed up this activity slightly (but it’s totally optional) with these song cards. They contain all 16 Christmas primary songs found in the Children’s Songbook. You likely won’t get through all the songs but they are all available.
Access my printables at my Resource Library. Instructions for accessing my Resource Library are found at the bottom of this post.
Print on card stock, cut out and laminate (optional).
Place the song cards on the board and let those being caroled to pick a song. You may want to omit songs that are REALLY unfamiliar. But make sure to post words for the songs like I do HERE.
When you finish caroling to your guest, send them on their way with a little gift! The FB post above uses this image HERE from The Friend. I have 2 options. One being a 4×6 photo that you can print at your local photo lab.
The other option is a sheet of 12 that you can print from home:
These can also be found in my Resource Library. Whichever option you choose, attach to a candy cane with a ribbon or insert through 2 punched holes.
Repeat with more guests, Christmas primary songs (remove son cards as you sing them), and gifts. At the end of singing time, give one to each child as well.
You can optionally do more with each song as you sing them! Some examples are:
- Handbells for Christmas Bells (find the bell chart HERE)
- Scarves for Joseph Went to Bethlehem (find actions HERE)
- Rhythm instruments or kazoos on Have a Very Merry Christmas
- Hum, ooh, aah for the chorus of Mary’s Lullaby (find posters HERE)
- Paper towel rolls for Samuel Tells of the Baby Jesus (find more details HERE)
- Hold tea lights and turn off lights for Stars Were Gleaming and There Was Starlight on the Hillside
Leave a comment if you have other activities that you can easily associate with the other Christmas primary songs.
Make sure to check out all of my other Christmas singing time ideas HERE as well.
Check out this quick tutorial video for accessing the Resource Library:
These printables are filed on my Resource Library page under Category Title > Christmas > Reverse Caroling.