With the Beijing Olympics held this month, you may want to hold your own singing time Olympics! This lesson plan is action-packed and all updated for 2022! This is a great way to sing or review ANY song(s)!
Olympic Banner & Icons
The preparation is minimal which is always a win!! Simply print out the Primary Winter Olympics Banner, along with the 8 event icons that include:
- Speed Skating
- Cross Country
- Bob Sled
- Figure Skating
- Ice Hockey
- Ski Jumping
Access my printables at my Resource Library. Instructions for accessing my Resource Library are found at the bottom of this post.
I suggest printing everything on card stock, cutting out and laminating (check out my laminator HERE if you like)! This is the 3rd time I’ve used these and they are in great condition!! Totally worth it as the work is already done!
Once you have your visuals, you need the Olympic event instructions that coincide with the songs to sing.
- Torch Pass: sing I Know My Father Lives vs 1 and pass along the torch; when the piano stops, the person holding the torch says the next line
- Cross Country: walk around the room and sing Follow the Prophet vs 1-3
- Figure Skating: sing I Know My Father Lives vs 2 while you make the wands dance
- Bobsleigh: move bodies either left or right by following the conductor as we sing Follow the Prophet vs 4-5
- Ice Hockey: send the “puck” back and forth as we sing I Know My Father Lives vs 1 – one side will sing one phrase and the other side will sing the next phrase. Go back and forth with the phrases
- Speed Skating: sing Follow the Prophet vs. 6-7 and on each chorus, start slow and gradually sing faster
- Ski Jumping: pitch lead I Know My Father Lives vs 2 with bodies, going up and down with the notes
- Snowboarding: sing Follow the Prophet vs 8-9 and place one foot in front of the other. On each down beat (new measure), switch the front foot
- Freestyle: sing both songs to impress the judges!
These instructions are also in my Resource Library to download and print.
**The 2 songs I chose coordinate with what our primary is learning for the program. We have learned I Know My Father Lives (January) and Follow the Prophet (February). Find more details HERE if it helps.
Change your songs as needed.
Cut the instructions out and tape to the back of the Olympic banner and icons like so:
The Torch Pass event goes on the back of the Olympic banner. To do the Torch Pass, you need something to resemble a torch. I suggest a flashlight with yellow and orange tissue paper taped around the light to resemble a flame. But a plain ol’ flashlight will definitely do the trick!
Then you also need wands for the Figure Skating event. Wands are definitely be optional but not quite as fun ;). Check out my post HERE on wands.
The rest of the activities are pretty self explanatory and don’t require any other props.
Once you have your documents, you are ready to hold your 2022 singing time Olympics! Hang the banner and icons on the board with the images facing forward and the event instructions facing the board. Start by turning over the Olympic banner which will kick off your Olympic singing time with the Torch Pass.
Then choose another icon, flip it over and do the activity on the back. Try ending with Freestyle which is singing the song for “judges.” Judges can be anyone – teachers, primary presidency, you, whoever!
Olympic Gold Medals
As an optional ending to your singing time Olympics, pass out “gold medals” which are gold candy coins glued or taped to ribbon necklaces. I’m never opposed to the occasional treat in singing time, especially when it relates to the lesson so well!
I found the chocolate gold coins in the bulk candy section at WinCo (here in Utah). Then I used Scotch tape and taped them to 2.5 foot long ribbon like so:
Make sure to check out all my review activities HERE.
These printables are filed on my Resource Library page under Category Title > Olympics.