I Lived in Heaven is a wonderful song to sing for Father’s Day or any time of year, for that matter!! Why not learn more about where we came from for Father’s Day and that we all have a Father in heaven who has a plan for us! Check out this lesson plan that incorporates wand actions that coincide with the words.
The original idea was shared HERE in the comments – brilliant! I created a printable along with actions for the last verse to go with it!
Match made in heaven!
Access my printables at my Resource Library. Instructions for accessing my Resource Library are found at the bottom of this post.
No Printer? No Problem!
The printables are completely optional! Simply teach the wand actions without the printables! You may want to make yourself some simple notes, however. Just in case you get stuck (tell me I’m not the only one!)
For this activity, I recommend using wands, but hands will work in a pinch. Check out my post HERE with details to where I get wands or how to make your own!
The actions are very simple:
- I lived in heaven a long time ago it is true: wave above head, back and forth
- Lived there and loved there with people I know so did you: make heart shape
- Then Heavenly Father presented a beautiful plan: eternity symbol
- All about earth and eternal salvation for man: circle shape
- Father said that he needed someone who had enough love: heart shape
- To give his life so we all could return there above: cross shape
- There was another who sought for the honor divine: frown shape
- Jesus said, “Father, send me and thy glory be thine.”: arrow down, arrow up
- Jesus was chosen and as the Messiah he came: point stick forward as if “choosing”
- Conquering evil and death through his glorious name: wave above head
- Giving us hope of a wonderful life yet to be: wiggle upward
- Home in that heaven where Father is waiting for me: wave across chest
Before primary, hang the visuals on the board.
To introduce the song, have the piano play while you and the teachers sing. Demonstrate the wand actions and have the children watch. See if they can tell you how some of the actions relate to the words. Take answers.
Pass out a wand and demonstrate each phrase with its corresponding wand action. Gradually adding on until the song has been sung and all the actions learned.
Time permitting, gradually take away the flip chart pages off the board as you sing in between.
Bear testimony that you know we lived with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ before we were born!
If you want more ideas for Father’s Day, check out all my posts HERE.
All my printables are free and filed on my Resource Library. Filing instructions for accessing each printable on my Resource Library are below the button.
These printables are filed on my Resource Library page under Song Title > I Lived in Heaven.