This patriotic singing time idea will get your primary geared up to celebrate the 4th of July or summer! Teach them the meaning behind the colors of the flag along with corresponding primary songs!
Did you know that each of the colors of the flag have significant representation? I’m not really sure that I did until now!
- RED: Courage
- WHITE: Purity
- BLUE: Perseverance
For this activity, print or write each of these words on their respective colors.
I created these printables in either black and white or color. If printing the black and white version, print on corresponding colored paper or color by hand. Place in sheet protectors or laminate (optional).
Access them at my Resource Library. Instructions for accessing my Resource Library are found at the bottom of this post.
Then each color corresponds to stars containing songs that represent each word:
Patriotic Singing Time Stars
Again, print in black and white (on corresponding colored paper or color by hand) or print the colored version. Then cut out each of the stars and laminate (optional).
No Printer, No Problem!
Write these words on colored paper or directly on the board using colored dry erase markers or chalk. Then cut out stars and write the names of the songs on them.
Or, if you rather, you can create these origami stars using read white and blue colored paper instead
Patriotic Song List
These are the songs associated with each color:
- Nephi’s Courage p. 120
- Called To Serve p. 174
- I Will Be Valiant p. 162
- I Love to See the Temple p. 95
- When I Am Baptized p. 103
- My Heavenly Father Loves Me p. 228 (because everything reminds us of Heavenly Father’s pure love)
- Search, Ponder and Pray p. 109 (it takes perseverance to gain a testimony)
- I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus p. 78 (trying each day takes perseverance)
- Scripture Power (studying everyday takes perseverance)
Make sure to post the words like I do HERE to any or all the songs listed above that may be unfamiliar.
For the patriotic singing time activity, place the 3 pages with the words on the board using magnets, tape or my favorite – magnetic tape (more details HERE).
Hang the stars below their respective colors, except have the song names facing the board.
Discuss the colors, why they are significant and what they represent. Then you or children can choose a star. Turn over the song to reveal the song title. Discuss why that song is a good representation of that color then sing it.
Repeat with new children, stars and songs.
For added (optional) movement, try these patriotic actions as you sing the songs. Some of them will require the children to hold a flag:
- Stand at attention and cover your heart with your right hand as you sing
- Wave a flag (wand or scarf) as you sing to the beat
- Sing loudly when the flag is raised and sing softer when it’s lowered
- Stand like the Statue of Liberty as you sing
- Kneel reverently for those who lost their lives for their freedom
- Volley the song phrases using a flag from one side to the other
- Tap on head with flag, hum, buzz or oooo if tapped
- Use scarves or ribbon wand movements (cards found HERE) using the flags
- March in place as if marching in a parade
- Drum the rhythm on your knees
- Have a moment of silence (don’t sing) when the flag is raised
- Choose a “firework” word to listen for throughout the song and then pop up when sung
More Patriotic Ideas
All my printables are free and filed on my Resource Library. Filing instructions for accessing each printable on my Resource Library are below the button.
These printables are filed on my Resource Library page under Category Title > Patriotic.